The abandoned coal chute

In 1917, D.C. Keeney applied to the city for a permit to create a coal chute on the South side of his laundry. When granted, it facilitated easy delivery of the coal which was used to power his boiler. The remains of this coal chute were clearly visible in the basement until 1998.

Then, during the summer of 1998, artist tenants were present when a city engineering crew rediscovered the small chamber created to house this coal.

It was sited next to the building's South side, under the pavement. The same day, a crew completely filled it with cement.

Back to the Basement